The Media Relations team manages the relationship with the media by:
- pitching newsworthy stories on your behalf and helping you prepare for any interviews
- dealing with incoming enquiries
- responding to anything sensitive or potentially damaging in the media, and monitoring coverage.
We also work closely with our social media colleagues. Together we can advise on the best ways to use social media or what to do if you encounter problems.
The Media Relations team (which includes the press office) should be your first point of contact for local, national, international and trade media.
For urgent, out-of-hours enquiries phone +44(0)7712 389448 or email press office.
What to do if you’re contacted by the media about a sensitive issue
If you’re contacted by a journalist about a sensitive or controversial issue, what you say could have an impact on the reputation of the University.
If you’re contacted by the media about an issue you are concerned about:
- you can find out what information is being requested but be careful not to speculate – remember that you don’t have to give any response there and then
- if you don’t have a planned response, tell them to email press office or if it’s an urgent out-of-hours approach, ask them to call +44(0)7712 389448
- let someone in the Media Relations team know about the call and ask for advice.