Things to keep in mind when writing your brief are:
- Shoot in portrait and landscape formats – so the images meet different needs. Specify in your brief that we always shoot for print and web.
- End use – consider all the ways your images might be used and make sure your photographer is briefed to shoot in appropriate formats.
- Shots list – provide your photographer with a full list of the shots they need to cover.
- Visual plan – a storyboard may be helpful to show your photographer exactly what you want to capture.
- Variety – capture a mixture of images, with the subject looking to camera and in action.
- Context – show the photographer where the image will be used (eg a similar publication).
- Number of shots – agree in advance the number of shots you need as high-resolution, post-processed images. You may be charged for any extra images you request above this.